NOTTINGHAM CARNIVAL HERITAGE
WELCOME TO THE NOTTINGHAM CARNIVAL HERITAGE ARCHIVE PROJECT!
We hope to share with you the extraordinary history of the Nottingham Caribbean Carnival, from its earliest recorded memories, from 1958 to 2002. The valuable support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) has enabled the community to:
- Work collaboratively with volunteers to research, identify, collate, catalogue, conserve and archive Nottingham Carnival material and resources to tell the full story of the carnival’s origins, development and history and its links with community development in the City of Nottingham
- Learn from oral histories and evidence collated through the creation and experience of a physical exhibition on display in a variety of community venues
- Engage with learning digitally, through the creation and access of an online Nottingham Carnival Archive
- Involve individuals and community organisations through carnival heritage workshops, skill-specific training and participation in the project decision-making processes
- Encourage volunteers to share and engage in cultural heritage with young people in schools and through workshops, using film and media techniques to create a short film about Carnival Heritage.
The Nottingham Carnival’s more recent history, dating from 2003 to the present day, adds to the current knowledge and experience of the Nottingham Carnival. Enjoy!